Saturday, November 21, 2009

Kreativ Blogger Award

I suppose it Kreativ Blogger Awarddoesn't happen often to nominate a newbie for an award but I feel honored that Renate from Into the LIGHT has nominated me for the Kreativ Blogger Award. You might notice that I labeled Awards instead of Kreative Blogger Award. I hope to get a couple more, though not necessary. So, because I don't take this honor lightly, I had to come up with seven fairly interesting things about me and seven bloggers to whom I should pass on the award. It was hard, but here it is.

NOTE: Watch out for this symbol. » My note, mostly to myself, there will be more on this topic in the future.

I am a veteran. After high school, I wanted to run away from home» but very wisely figured out that I wanted to make sure that I didn't or didn't need to come back. So I joined the Air Force. Some of the best years of my life.» Don't ask how many years, I may divulge that one day.

I have been doing genealogy about 7 and a half years, since the spring of 2002.» Yep, I have become one of the obsessed people. Although my family has not accused me yet of spending more time with my dead people...

I really don't have time to blog.» I wonder why I'm doing it... Well, Drusilla put on such a compelling presentation at IBGS. I had contemplated before that, any computer literate can follow the prompts; Create Blog... I am fairly literate, but the compelling reason that I started blogging was maybe somebody will see something I post that will help me to get over that brick wall» (see my complete profile and the random question Your hand has been replaced by a rubber stamp. What does it say?). I'm not necessarily looking for anyone to tell me the answer, but hopefully help me find it within myself.

I am hot on the trail of one of my slaveholder families.» I hope, considering I may get no more assistance, that will be just the demolition ball that I need for finding Smith's family members. Fortunately for me, it appears that Smith took on the same name.

I left a few breadcrumbs on Ancestry.com and one of my 2nd cousins once removed found me.» She was going to find me anyway, breadcrumbs just saved her a little time.

I am a philanthropist.» Have been most of my life. Hummm When I looked up the word in Webster to check spelling I didn't see quite the definition I was expecting. Voluntarism is more what I was looking for. You know, the servitude that President Obama is calling for our country to do? A lot more about this in the future.

I am looking forward to retirement so I can do more genealogy. 'nuff said.


Hummmmm. Which one of my topics » should I take on first? I want to jump right in there on Smith and Pinky, but I don't want to wear that puppy out too quickly. Ha, LOL, then y'all won't come back!


OK. Seven bloggers to pass on the baton. The seven of you are supposed to list seven things about yourself, and then pass the award on to seven other bloggers.

Luckie at Our Georgia Roots. I am VERY impressed with the look of her blog. Luckie is a new blogger to me, but of course, I will follow closely since I am digging most of my roots in the Peach State.

Diane's blog, Genealogy Insider, is representing Family Tree Magazine. Looks like she's not on the 'awards list'. But I'm nominating her anyway, I have always liked FTM from the beginning.» Her blog is the FIRST one where I found the New Digital Library Names Thousands of Slaves. Great contribution to African American genealogy! Since I saw that link on Diane's site, I have since found it several places, including Luckie's and the ACPL African American Gateway.

Hummmmm. I can't link to Diane's Maybe I'll have to pick somebody else.»

I have been following Drusilla Pair's blog, Find Your Folks, for several months. I tried looking back to see when did I start reading her and the closest I can come to is March 2009 when Randy Seaver (Genea-Musings) listed her on his Sunday Best of the Blogs list.

I have been following Randy Seaver's blog, Genea-Musings for I guess about a year now. I am glad I looked back to check the beginnings of following Drusilla because now that Roots Magic Essentials is out, I'd like to follow Randy's RootsMagic 4.0 Summary or excellent tutorial. And I'll be glad to actually participate in SNGF on my blog rather than just add a comment to his, starting this weekend.

Gena's Genealogy
Thoughts and News from the world of genealogy
I am especially impressed with three of her blogs:

I have been following Elyse Doerflinger for about a year and a half. I first followed her videos on YouTube where she did an EXCELLENT job of videoblogging beginning genealogy. Considering that she is not a professional, I think those videos were excellent. I was disappointed when she stopped producing videos. I followed as she prepared and went to the SCGC last summer and hope more youngsters follow her lead to follow their family history. Wish I started when I was 20 something. I also really like the background that she tweaked for her blog. More than the green, I like the swirl.

And last of all there is Michael Neill. He's got three blogs. RootDig, Genealogy Tip of the Day and a paid one, Case Files. I do not subscribe to Case Files but the other two are pretty good.

Another bad link. I suppose they do that intentionally for the purpose of watching their traffic.

After FGS 2005 (was in Salt Lake City), I was DETERMINED I was going to Salt Lake too. My 50th was coming up and...» I will be devoting a couple of blogs to just that road trip.
Anyway, Michael, I really wanted to submit Juliana's blog instead of yours. But since she's not publishing Family History Circle any more, I hardly go there. I had been following her blog (daily newsletter before weekly blog) since @ 2003. She had the Quick Tips submitted my us amateurs, the professional tips, The Year Was… was especially interesting. The 24 December 2006 Year End Summary of The Year Was… is shown here

It Appears that she is still publishing but I have found it difficult when and where to find her articles. I think Ancestry.com should give the Family History Circle back to her.

Oh, back to Michael. While we were at SLC, I was showing him the 1910 census with my folks and he pointed out that my g grandfather was a property owner. How many times had I looked at this census and overlooked it? Oh, back to Michael's blog. I first found some of Micheal's writings on Ancestry's Learning Center Archive. I'd be so much more impressed if the Tip of the Day were actually daily. Well, who am I to speak? Oh yeah, I didn't name my blog to give the impression that I am on every day. His articles and tips are still pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment