Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's Saturday Night!

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1) Open your genealogy software or family tree program of choice and make yourself the highlighted person.

2) Find out how to create a Calendar to show birthdays and/or anniversaries of yourself and all of your ancestors (or all relatives, or all persons - your choice!). The "Help" button is your friend here!!! It can be done in all of the current software programs.

3) Create your calendar. Pretty it up if you want. Save it. Can you show us a page from your calendar - say January 2010?

4) Which of your ancestors (or relatives, or descendants - your choice!), if any, were born on 30 January?

Have fun with this. How can you use this information during the coming year?

Here's a SNGF activity I get to participate in. Why? Because I already have it done. Yeah! Welllll, I did have to make a screen shot but the calendar was done. I noticed that Legacy did not have a way to include the death dates. It's OK, there are only about twenty of them already done out of 112. About 25 are still living. The other 67? About fifteen are death dates that I know but don't have entered and the other fifty or so still have to be researched. But of course, that is the reason for my focus on ancestors day. I decided to call it Celebrating Ancestors. Again, I got the idea from Michael Neill Use their Birthdays and decided to take it a step farther.


You can see here that I have two birthdays and one anniversary. Not showing are two death dates in January. I penned them in and they show up here in red text for visibility. That completes January except for Elizabeth's death in January. I don't know the date of her death. It's on my list of research to do next time I go back to OGS.

How can you use this information during the coming year?
To sum it up, I have those fifty or so death dates to do, about twenty birth dates that I have no clue and about 85 marriage dates I don't know. WOW! When you look at those numbers like that, maybe I'm being too ambitious to complete this birthday thing this year. I already wrote when I realized in my last post that I couldn't do more filing until I rearranged a little bit and I couldn't do the Celebrating Ancestors thing until I did more filing. OK. I'll just do the best I can. Filing, is after all, the priority for this year along with identifying brick walls. See? This stuff is in my head but not documented.

No comments:

Post a Comment